Elk Burgers with Garlic and Onion Butter
Any hunter or huntress of large game, if successful, returns home with mountains of grinds/burger. About a year or so ago I decided to dive into all the possible ways to use ground meat! I’ve been working through every interesting recipe from ALL styles, and ethnicity and have hit upon many, many keepers! The following is based on a Pierre Franey 1989 recipe. It is easy, delicious, and absolutely showstopping for a game burger!
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground elk (or any venison)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 3 tablespoons fine chopped onion
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- In a medium bowl add ground meat, salt, Worcestershire Sauce, and mustard, and mix well with your hands. Divide the mixture into 4 equal patties.
- Combine the chopped onion and sherry in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat till sherry nearly evaporates. Stir in garlic, and butter. Cook 3 minutes more. Cool slightly, and stir in parsley. Set aside.
- Hot sear the burgers on a hot, heavy skillet with a thin layer of vegetable oil. Cook 3 minutes each sides for medium rare. Let rest covered on a plate.
- Top each burger with Onion Garlic Butter and serve with you favorite vegetable.
Best Carrots on Earth!
I have many wonderful, generous friends who send me gifts from their kitchens, that I incorporate into my recipes; to elevate our equal creativity into memorable, delicious dishes. I worked with a dear friend, David VanGosen’s amazing Tomato Jam to make what my husband called the “Best Carrots On Earth!” David’s Tomato Jam is a savory blend of rich, slightly acidic, warmly spiced heaven! If you want to experience the “Best Carrots On Earth” read on!
The Best Carrot’s On Earth
- 1/2 lb. baby carrots
- 1/4 cup David VanGosen’s Tomato Jam (or jam of your choice)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Sprinkles of Flaked Sea Salt (I prefer Cape May)
- Steam 1 lb. baby carrots till tender-crisp
- Drain out steam water. Heat David VanGosen’s Tomato Jam, cumin seed, butter and ground sea salt till melted and heated through.
- Serve around the burger, and sprinkle all lightly with flaked sea salt.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.