Fast & Healthy Venison: Salsa Stewed Ground Elk with a poached egg
Fast & Healthy Venison
Fast & Healthy Venison: If there is one common thread between busy hunters, and their field to table cuisine, it’s our need for a delicious, fast & healthy venison weeknight meal. If said meal uses some of our bountiful grinds = BONUS!
Salsa Stewed Ground Elk with a poached egg
Pressure Cooker Recipe
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb. lean ground venison (deer, elk, antelope)
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 4 oz can diced roasted green hatch chilies
- 2 cups water
- 1 16 oz jar of your favorite salsa
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup shredded cheddar, jack, or your favorite cheese
- 1 poached egg per serving ( Recipe follows)
With cooker’s cover off, heat oil till sizzling. Brown venison, onion, salt about 5 minutes. Add rice, chilies,water, and salsa. Lock pressure cooker & cook for 8 minutes on high. Quick release the steam and pressure. stir in beans & corn, and cook about 3 minutes till corn, and beans are heated through.
Serve Salsa Stewed Venison topped with cheese, scallion and a poached egg. Relax and enjoy this healthy, delicious comfort food!
Perfectly Poached Eggs
Points to remember
- Make sure your eggs are really fresh.
- Add a small dash of vinegar to a pan of steadily simmering water.
- Crack eggs individually into a ramekin or cup.
- Create a gentle whirlpool in the water to help the egg white wrap around the yolk.
- Slowly tip the egg into the water, white first. Leave to cook for three minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, cutting off any wispy edges using the edge of the spoon.
- Drain onto kitchen paper