Ground Elk Stroganoff – Pressure Cooker Version
This recipe is done with ground venison/elk, but following the same directions can also be done with traditional strips of venison steak. Simple & delicious!
Ground Elk Stroganoff
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 lbs. ground elk (deer, antelope, goose)
1 sweet onion finely chopped
1 large shallot finely chopped
1 oz. dry sherry
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup venison stock (or beef stock)
1 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon pepper
8 oz. sour cream
1/4 cup chopped parsley
salt to taste
- Heat butter & oil in pressure cooker with lid off, on brown or saute setting till sizzling.
- Add the ground elk, onion & shallot. Cook till elk is browned about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Add sherry and cook till reduced by half.
- Add mushrooms, stock, lime juice, garlic, allspice, & pepper. Securely lock the pressure cooker’s lid. Set the cooker for 15 minutes on high.
- Prepare your favorite noodles on your stove top as the stroganoff cooks.
- Let the pressure naturally release for 5 minutes before performing a quick release on any remaining pressure
- Stir in sour cream. Taste for salt & pepper. Serve over buttered noodles with a generous sprinkling of chopped parsley.
(If you do not have a pressure cooker simply simmer, covered, on your stove top approximately 90 minutes, or till meat is very tender before adding sour cream.)