I always get excited about finding a new, and delicious recipe for venison burgers. When harvesting bigger game we ultimately gain the motherload of grinds. This is a simple, elegant addition to your venison burger recipe box.
- 1 – 1 1/2 pounds ground venison
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon cracked peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1/4 cup dry white or red wine
- 1 tablespoon cognac or brandy
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Season the ground venison with sea salt, and shape into 4 patties
- Crack pepper onto both sides of the patties, pressing slightly to adhere.
- Heat a heavy skillet with no fat at all till a drop of water evaporates instantly. I like the sear I get from cast iron for this.
- Hot sear the burgers 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare. You should get a delicious, crusty sear.
- Transfer burgers to a plate and let rest covered with foil to keep warm.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the butter and the shallots to the pan. Cook stirring with a wooden spoon till shallots are wilted. Add the wine and cook to reduce by half. Add the cognac, swirl in remaning butter. Turn off heat. Serve sauce over burgers.