This recipe for Wild Game Meatloaf with Glorious Rabbit Gravy will bring moans of delight from your dinner guests! I promise you! It will!
For many, memories of meatloaf cause people to grit their teeth and take a step backward. This is NOT that meatloaf! The incorporation of several cups of finely chopped veggies adds tremendous moisture, as well as a melody of rich flavors! Pair this the wild game or domestic meat gravy of your choice, and the result is almost sinful!
If you own a small food processor or blender you can make very short work of this delicious recipe! Set out a large bowl, a food processor or blender, a graduated 1 cup measure, a cutting board, a chef’s knife, silicone spatula, and measuring spoons.
Wild Game Meatloaf Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup onion
- 3/4 cup shallots
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 lbs ground venison (I used MD Whitetail Deer)
- 1 lb wild game sausage (I used Elk Sweet Italian Ground Sausage)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
Wild Game Gravy Ingredients
- 2 cups Wild Game Stock or beef stock (I used a rich wild rabbit stock)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter – softened
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Rough chop onion to appropriate measure. Pour into food processor. Chop till fine, and put into large bowl. Continue, one at a time, shallots, celery, carrots, red and yellow bell peppers.
- On top of chopped veggies in bowl add garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne, cumin, nutmeg, and chili powder. Mix with silicone spatula.
- Melt butter into the cream. Cool mixture to lukewarm. Add to spice/veggie mixture in large bowl.
- Crumple in ground venison & sausage, and add ketchup and bread crumbs.
- With your hands, fold and mix all together till uniform.
- Press into a greased 5″x 9″ bread pan, and mound the center like a loaf of bread.
- Place this pan into a larger baking pan with 2″ water bath.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 1 hour, or until 160 degrees internal temperature.
- Take out and let rest while you prepare the gravy.
- Place the softened butter in a bowl. With a fork incorporate the 3 tablespoons of flour till thoroughly incorporated.
- Warm your stock in a saucepan till simmering.
- Add the butter/flour mixture. Simmer gently 4 or 5 minutes till thickened.
- Your meatloaf will have accumulated about 2″ of game/vegetable broth in the pan. Leave this delicious broth to keep your meatloaf moist. It also can serve as a base for more gravy.
- Serve your meatloaf thickly sliced, on homemade bread or not, with a generous pour of wild game gravy!